In the Night Farm…Your Ride is Here.

Indecision

Piece by piece, this Fandango decision is getting to be more of a puzzle rather than less.

I rode Consolation 8 miles last night (as far as I thought I should go just a few days before a potential 50), and she felt very close to normal.  Maybe she was 100%, and I was just being hyperaware, but I don’t think so.  Not quite.  She definitely had some real power under the hood, and asking her to move out no longer felt like flipping a disconnected switch.  She wanted to canter, though she snarled through the transitions a bit.  This may be related to the fact that she’s in season.  She felt energetic and smooth.  She stalled out a couple times on the long, gradual hill, but her muscle tone seemed fine and when asked to continue, she trotted on up with no issues. 

…and then, and 10:30 last night, I got an email from Christoph with the Global Endurance Training Center.  I’d asked if he’d be willing to take a look at Consolation’s feet tomorrow despite the full-day clinic being cancelled.  He kindly said he’d have been glad to, but they decided not to come to Idaho after all.  So, that “perk” is off the list.

That leaves the ride itself.  I really want to ride.  I really want to see folks.  I really want to support Steph for her determination to NOT CANCEL despite low attendance due to the EHV-1 scare. 

On the other hand, ride fees will probably be unusually high because fewer people are contributing to the cost of holding the ride.  I’ve already put a lot of money lately into my new-to-me horse trailer and other horse requirements.  I could use the extra cash toward a HRM with GPS, both so I can better monitor Consolation and so I’m safer (or at least easier to find) while starting all these greenies on the trail.

Furthermore, if I do the ride, I’ll be doing it rather slowly.  Given the small number of riders, that almost certainly means that we’ll do most of the ride alone, which is okay with me but makes for a mentally challenging day for my horse.  It also means we’d keep the poor vet and volunteers waiting out in the sun at the hold just for us, well after the other riders have come through.

Most importantly, I want to do the right thing by my partner.

Advertisements

4 responses

  1. Your answer is in this post. I think you are still hesitant because you don’t think it’s the right thing to do. Your last two paragraphs tell it all. Save your money and go into your next ride with no questions. My humble opinion.

    May 25, 2011 at 2:25 pm

  2. Indeed. I was almost to that conclusion this morning, and have reached it now. I *think* Consolation would be fine, and one can never be *sure*…but it is definitely possible to be more sure than I am this time around.

    May 25, 2011 at 3:10 pm

  3. Lisa

    You won’t even remember that you missed this ride when you have your new gps toy to play with!

    May 25, 2011 at 7:24 pm

    • Hahahahaha! I love that perspective! 😀

      May 25, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s